Tweet This!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Restore Our Civil Liberties, No War With Iran - My letter to the President.

FYI - My letter to the President.

-ADY "A Regular Guy On The Issues"




November 14, 2012


The Hon. Barack H. Obama
The White House
1600 Pennslyvania Ave,  NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President,

Good morning.  I hope this letter finds you doing well.  I want to start off by saying congratulations on your reelection.  I wanted to take some time to write to you concerning a couple of different topics.
First, I will admit, I am a former Democrat, turned left leaning (Small "L" libertarian) independent voter.  I did support you in the previous election, but I could not in good faith this time.  Instead,  I voted for Gov. Gary Johnson.  I thought long and hard about this choice, but in the end, I did so over civil liberties and foreign policy.  

I ask that you please restore America's faith in your administration by restoring our civil liberties.  A good start would be to ask Congress to repeal the Patriot Act or pass S. 1686, the Justice Act, that was originally introduced in 2011 by former Senator Russ Feingold.  Also, ask them to amend the National Defense Authorization Act, striking out the Indefinite Detention clause.  

I am a former U.S. Marine and Iraq War veteran.  I'm still serving, now, as a medic in the Army Reserve.  I say that because I care deeply about defending our great nation, and I know that it can be done while still upholding our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Secondly, I ask that you take a different approach concerning Iran.  Simply, I think that your administration should, as President Kennedy did with the Soviet Union during the Cuban Missile Crisis, deal directly with the Iranian government. There is really no need for other countries to act as "middle men."  There seems to be a lot of propaganda in the media, and sadly, it looks like we are headed down the same path that we were leading up to war with Iraq.  

In closing, Mr. President, I want to, again, congratulate you on your reelection victory, and thank you for taking the time to read this.  I ask that you consider my suggestions as your new term begins.  Any response is greatly appreciated.

Very respectfully,
Aaron D. Yeargan

No comments: